Canadian Association for Play Therapy
Foundation Play Therapy Training Days
On-Line, Live Instructor Lead Training 2023.
The Canadian Association for Play Therapy (CAPTTM) is unable to offer Foundation Play Therapy training days face to face in summer 2023. As a result, we are offering on-line training at a time and place more accessible for you. The schedule for training follows.
The CAPTTM Foundation Play Therapy Training offers individual days of unique training in the theory and practice of play therapy. Students can complete the 180 hours of continuing education credits at a pace and time that they choose. The 180 hours are one of the steps needed to become a Certified Play Therapist. The program instructors are professional skilled play therapists who bring expertise on a wide variety of topics.
CAPTTM Committees and Board of Directors have acted responsibly and made some significant changes to how we do business. These changes will pertain to 2023 for now and from there, a determination about future offerings will be examined and presented.
If you are using these training days as credits toward Certification as a Play Therapist, you must remain in the CAPTTM system and not move to another comprehensive program in Canada throughout. If, however, you choose to start your training with another Approved Provider of Foundation Play Therapy in Canada, you would be required to remain with that provider throughout.
All the Play Therapy Foundation Training days are presented at a post-master’s level. Therefore, it is important that you enter each of these days equipped with the background to fully understand the advanced concepts that will be presented.
Clinical experience in child psychotherapy and play therapy is not a requirement to enter the Play Therapy Foundation Training days but will aid in your level of understanding of the materials that will be presented each day.
Although a Master’s degree is not mandatory to take this training, some college or university course(s) or postgraduate training workshops you have completed will help in your understanding of the concepts presented in this training. The following courses, or similar ones, would be helpful:
- General Concepts and Principles of Child Development: biological, psychological, and social development
- Child and Adolescent Behavioural Disorders/Psychopathology: abnormal child psychology
- Theories of Personality: understanding of personality development
In order to become fully Certified as a Play Therapist, you must have these courses as part of the Education requirements.
What is CAPTTM’s Foundation Play Therapy Training and how will it be presented in 2023?
Offered live on-line each day from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Nothing will change in this teaching. You will receive real time instruction of the same calibre as previously advertised.
- The training will include the ability to ask questions, to dialogue and to break out into separate rooms for group work, sharing and discussion.
- The training platform is 256 end-to-end encrypted and is presented under the Personal Health Information Protection Act Guidelines, allowing the instructor to present cases while adhering to privacy.
- Instruction will be taught by our regular high quality and fully experienced CAPTTM Play Therapy instructors.
- The Foundation Play Therapy Credit Guidelines previously allowed as being 25% on-line and 75% in person training have been waived temporarily and all Foundation Training will be accepted for full credits starting immediately.
- The learning platform will allow for daily quizzes, polls and evaluations.
- This training WILL NOT be recorded for future viewing.
BENEFITS OF ON-LINE FOUNDATION TRAINING IN 2023
- Fees will be will be posted as soon as possible. Applicable provincial taxes will apply.
- Taxation will be according to the province you reside. If, for some reason, the system charges you the wrong taxation, you will receive a refund. This is being closely monitored.
- Those who are situated in remote areas will have the opportunity to attend this training without the extra expense of travel and accommodations.
Registration for the individual days of training from the selection of 23 one- or two-day courses will be available soon.
Click here for an Introduction to the Foundation Play Therapy training
The courses will be offered online as follows:
Click on each course for learning objectives
May 8 – 19, 2023 (Monday to Friday)
- Introduction to Play Therapy
- Play Therapy History, Models and Process – 2 days
- Ethical Practice in a Play Therapy Setting
- Assessment & Treatment Planning in a Play Therapy Context
- Family Play Therapy
- Non-Directive Play Therapy and Introduction to Filial Therapy – 2 days
- Theraplay as a Play Therapy Model
- Attachment Theory and Therapy in a Play Therapy Setting
June 12 – 23, 2023 (Monday to Friday)
- Sandtray Therapy – 2 days
- Brain Research and Child Development in a Play Therapy Setting
- Understanding Traumatized Children
- Applying Play Therapy Tools in the Treatment of Trauma in Children
- Play Therapy with Abused Children – 2 days
- Day 1 – Physical and Emotional Abuse
- Day 2 – Sexual Abuse
- Creating an Inclusive and Culturally Competent Play Therapy Practice
- Storytelling in a Play Therapy Session
- Understanding and Treating Anxious Children
August 7 – 18, 2023 (Monday to Friday)
- Treating Disruptive Behaviour Problems in a Play Therapy Setting – 2 days
- Puppetry in a Play Therapy Setting
- Play Therapy with Adults
- Group Therapy
- Play Therapy for Children and Families Coping with Loss – 2 days
- Case Application
- Art Therapy in a Play Therapy Setting
- Vicarious Trauma and Self Care in a Play Therapy Environment
For an expanded description of the above courses click here
Learning Management System
The training platform is 256 end-to-end encrypted and is presented under the Personal Health Information Protection Act Guidelines, allowing the instructor to present cases while adhering to privacy.
There will be an orientation system posted on-line for all to review on how to use the Learning Management System.
Registration for the individual days of training from the selection of 23 one or two days will be open soon
For more information on technical content within these courses, please contact the Education Committee Chair at email@example.com
For more information on applying for the training, please contact, Elizabeth Sharpe at firstname.lastname@example.org
The CAPTTM Foundation Play Therapy Training Days have been updated and changed to address some of the suggestions made through student evaluations in past years.
Click here for the complete schedule.
All courses are live on-line each day from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Daily fees for non-members is $220.00 plus taxes.
Daily fees for CAPT members are $190.00 plus taxes.
Click here to register
Contact the office at 226-821-1056 if you need any information or have questions.
Form C – Prior Learning Assessment
CAPTTM CANCELLATION POLICY:
You may cancel training in writing under the following conditions:
- Cancellations must be received up to and including 30 days before the start of each two-week training
- Cancellations must be received up to and including 15 days before the start of each two-week training to be offered a credit less 50% of the registration fee.
- No refunds or credits will be issued on cancellation requests received after the start of each two-week training except under special circumstances as approved by the CAPTTM Education Committee.
For More Information please contact Kip Sharpe: email@example.com
Adobe Acrobat may be required to view Forms
You can get Adobe Acrobat Reader free of charge from Adobe by clicking on the yellow button below